Gary's Third Pottery Blog

When the going gets tough, dragons gonna get going....

Gary's third pottery blog

WRITE TO ME! garyrith@yahoo.com Come see me! Open studio HERE! November 25-26 (11-4 each day); Aurora Art and Design, daily until 12/24; Cooperstown Art Assoc. daily until 12/24; Ellis Hollow Community Fair, 12/10; December 10, Little Red Wagon at the Space at Greenstar. All material on this blog unless stated otherwise is copyright Gary Edward Rith 2016

Saturday, March 9, 2013

"let me kiss your pineapple!"

It is well known that I love pineapple.  It is such a tasty and healthy item, and this time of year, when all your favorite berries are a fortune at the store, a fresh pineapple is STILL cheap.  What tastes better?
I was poking through the recipe box and found my mom's recipe card for pineapple bread, THAT's what tastes better than fresh pineapple...
The wife is like "is this her bread recipe, covered with sugar and filled with maraschino cherries???" (I liked it as a kid, but it is not really to my taste now, and the wife found it had about SEVEN cups of sugar too much to her liking...)
and I am like
"nono, this is exactly like a banana bread recipe, except with pineapple!" and I had never baked it before, having had the card nearly 30 years, and it was YUMMY TASTY and we gave it to friends last night too and I am a BIG hit around here.... recipe follows!



Students of the B52s, like me, will remember the line (something like) "let me kiss your pineapple!" from their Strobe Light.....

12 comments:

Sandra Kohlmann said...

There is a bowl, with about 8 ounces of crushed pineapple, in my refrigerator right now. I know what I'm baking today. This looks so great. And I love that you posted the recipe card from your mom!

Michèle Hastings said...

I love having recipe cards handwritten by my Mom and other friends and relatives... unfortunately I think they may become obsolete in this age of computers.

Shortstuff said...

Looks tasty. No wonder you're such a popular guy! Oh, that and your wicked sense of humor and your wonderful pottery.

smartcat said...

Thanks for the nostalgia trip! Like Michele I love seeing handwrittem recipes. I have my mother's little file box of cards. She wrote on all sorts of things; it's a window into the past.

Now I have to dig out the emergency oineapple coffee cake I invented one desperate morning when unexpected visitors dropped in many summers ago.

Becky Brown said...

This looks awesome - I am totally making this - thanks, Gary. I, too, love the handwritten recipe card. What a treasure!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

I eat 2 pineapples a week. True story. Also? I can cut up a fresh pineapple so fast your head will literally spin.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
soubriquet said...

I am less into pineapple. It's okay, y'now, just, not special to me.

But in all my recent house clearing, I've turned up a stack of old family recipes, things I recall from childhood, things my grandmother made, oh... old wine recipes too. And medicines for horse-colic...

I shall, eventually, because I'm slow at all this stuff, eventually, post one or two. I have a couple in mind that I think might be a hit in Casa Rith. It would be amazing to see Great Auntie Sybil's recipe come out of Gary's oven, and be debated on the interwebs!
Maybe I should scan them, because I loved that recipe pic you posted, its a story in itself, written, used, saved, and passed along.

Momma Fargo said...

Love your new banner pics...showing some of my favorite pottery. I think you must celebrate the best breakfasts!

Claudia from Idiot's Kitchen said...

You know I am a HUGE fan of the family recipe cards but can you believe I've NEVER had pineapple bread? I put pineapple in my zucchini bread (so good) but I'm definitely going to make this! (After I make Irish Soda bread today...carbs be damned!)

Karen (formerly kcinnova) said...

Our moms must have learned writing from the same school of style. Really, that could be my mother's writing! Kind of cool...
And now I'm hungry for pineapple!

Top pottery blog 2015

2014 winner

Me and Missus Tastycakes

Me and Missus Tastycakes

garyrith.com

ME, the TV interview :)

my etsy gallery

my second blog, 2008-2009

my first blog, 2006-2008

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I am a full-time studio potter, sculptor, and dog walker, married to superhawt Missus Tastycake.